Range Safety Specialist – Okinawa, Japan
Posted by firstname.lastname@example.org on September 14, 2018
To apply to this job, click here.
The Range Safety Support Specialist reports to the Director of Ranges and training areas and receives work direction derivatives from the Project Manager. The Range Safety Support Specialist will provide range safety support by performing the following duties:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Make recommendations to resolve range and safety conflicts for range requests not covered by the installation range SOPs to the Range Safety Officer. Non-standard events are training events not listed in the installation SOPs.
- Conduct a semiannual review of RFMSS facility-to-facility conflicts, facility-to-event conflicts, facility-to-ammunition conflicts, and facility-to-environment conflicts (Ref. Chapter 6, RFMSS User Manual) against the installation range SOP.
- Review all updates to Installation Range SOPs and recommend the best way to reflect these changes in RFMSS administration tables.
- Develop a range safety inspection schedule supporting the range safety inspection plan at each installation and deliver the schedule to the Range Safety Officer for approval.
- Inspect ranges at each installation for safety violations and verify all ranges are in working condition in accordance with the installation range SOPs.
- Deliver range incident reports from RFMSS ad-hoc reports module.
- Support the production of courseware and curriculum materials that focus on range safety and laser safety.
- Support the production of courseware and curriculum materials that focus on the training of new Range Safety Specialist.
- Provide periods of instruction for the training and development of all Range Safety Specialist.
- Provide certification training for all Range Safety Officers and Officers in Charge.
- Provides training for the Laser Range Safety Officer program to certify personnel to utilize lasers on ranges and training areas.
- Report to the Range Control Officer with daily control and coordination for all activities conducted within the installation training complex to ensure safe and concurrent operations.
- Review special training request and provides recommendations to the range scheduling office.
- Supervise normal functions of the range and training areas to include approving, controlling, and monitoring access and daily use for training, maintenance, and administration activities, communication procedures, as well as observation to identify and report unauthorized personnel and activities and forward possible violations to the Range Control Officer.
- Assist the Range Control Officer with supervising the Range Safety Specialists.
- Coordinate with the Range Control Officer, Operations Chief, and Scheduling Office for scheduling conflicts involving ranges and training areas.
- Responsible for the enforcement of Range Regulations and Marine Corps Orders for all personnel training on ranges and training areas.
- Provide range briefs, laser briefs, and inspections on all ranges and training areas.
- In the event of a training accident, respond to the situation and act as a direct link between first responders and range control.
- Respond to range and training area fires and provide direction and updates to the Range Control Officer and fire department. Also, coordinate and direct firefighting support with aircraft.
- Responsible for coordinating range and training area safety inspections with Industrial Hygiene, Base Safety and the Fire Marshall.
- Assist the Range Control officer in the certification and recertification of Marine Corps ground ranges and associated training facilities.
- Assist the Range Control officer in Range Deviations of Marine Corps ground ranges and associated training facilities.
- Assist the Range Control officer in the review and approval process of training event deviations.
- Perform Operational Risk Management (ORM) assessments for ranges, training areas and training events.
- Responsible for the establishment and administration of operational range clearance programs to promote the safe, sustainable use of operational ranges for their intended purpose.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Required: Range Safety distance learning course (MarineNet).
- Required: Graduate of the RFMSS Functional Administrator course.
- Required: Graduate of the Inter-Service Range Safety Course.
- Required: Graduate of the Range Manager Tool Kit (RMTK) ~ formerly Geographic Information System (GIS) for Range Managers Course.
- Graduate of the Weapons Danger Zone (WDZ) Course (preferred).
- Graduate of the Range Airspace Manager Course (preferred).
- Three years of Range Safety experience.
- The ideal candidate is a former SNCO or Officer who has experience as a Range Safety Officer or Officer in Charge.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Able to read, write, and communicate effectively in English.
- Able to design and write clear communications and present training programs.
- Proficient in computer applications such as Windows 2000/XP and MS Office.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent organizational, planning and prioritization skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with: Marine Corps Orders and Directives concerning Range Safety, Marine Corps Ground Range Certification and Recertification program, Policies and Procedures for Range and Training Area Management, Operational Range Clearance Program and Range Safety.
- Required to sit for extended periods of time and maintain focus.
- Required to work outdoors for long periods of time in various weather conditions.
- Daily travel in local area during work day (including use of personal vehicle).
- Requires occasional travel
- Salary: Not provided
- Clearance Required: Yes
- Spouse Friendly: No