Fire Desk Operator – Okinawa, Japan
Posted by firstname.lastname@example.org on September 14, 2018
To apply to this job, click here.
The Fire Desk Operator (FDO) serves as the on-duty specialist for coordination, access, and control of personnel and aircraft within the range training areas. The FDO regulates and ensures safety oversight for all range training area activities and enforces the published installation range regulations. Additionally, the FDO advises installation leadership on current range operations and safety considerations. The FDO reports to and receives work direction derivatives from the Project Manager in coordination with the Site Lead, and is expected to function as the real-time coordinator for range operations across all facility sections.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide Air and Ground Fire Desk Operation services.
- Advise the Range Manager/Director on matters pertaining to airspace management, planning, and operations.
- Using RFMSS and IRSS, track scheduled units on the ranges and training areas.
- Update and post current range status during training operations on Range Facility Management Scheduling System (RFMSS).
- Track all range incidents, initiate emergency procedures and dispatch response services as necessary.
- Maintain accurate logs in RFMSS.
- Track all down range personnel in RFMSS.
- Alert the Officer in Charge, Range Safety Officer and Range Control personnel of any “Cease Fire” requirements in a timely manner.
- Enter range utilization data in RFMSS as units complete training and upon departure.
- Ensure RFMSS End-Of-Day functions are performed correctly.
- Develop and update range operations training program in accordance with MCO 3550, maintain accurate personnel training jackets, advise crew composition/ shift schedules to meet operational demands.
- Conduct qualification and training to Marines temporarily assigned to Range Control in Fire Desk Operations.
- Update and maintain RFMSS Logs, to include Airspace Activation/Deactivation, Status Change, Communications Check, Utilization, No Show/Cancellation, Downrange, Incident and End of Day Processing.
- Review approved range reservations prior to beginning of Operations.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Required: Range Safety distance learning course (MarineNet).
- Required: Graduate of the RFMSS Functional Administrator course.
- Required: Graduate of the Inter-Service Range Safety Course.
- Required: Graduate of the Range Manager Tool Kit (RMTK) ~ formerly Geographic Information System (GIS) for Range Managers Course.
- Graduate of the Weapons Danger Zone (WDZ) Course (preferred).
- Graduate of the Range Airspace Manager Course (preferred).
- Three years of experience working as an FDO.
- Ideal candidate is a former Marine SNCO or Officer who has experience working in the Air Traffic and Range Control community.
- Experience writing and publishing installation level orders and procedures.
- Experience with formulating and conducting pilot briefings.
- Experience and specialized knowledge of Special Use Airspace (SUA) and Surface Danger Zones (SDZ).
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficient in internet-based scheduling, ranges status, and aircraft monitoring systems.
- Proficient in computer applications such as Windows and MS Office.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational, planning, and prioritization skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Required to sit for extended periods of time and maintain focus.
- Flexible shift schedule may be outside of normal working hours due to changing operational or manning requirements.
- Daily travel in local area during work day (including use of personal vehicle).
- Salary: Not provided
- Clearance Required: Yes
- Spouse Friendly: No